Sunday, April 17, 2011

How I make lunch

This is not really a recipe, but I find myself telling a lot of folks about my lunch-building process lately, so I thought it might be useful.  This is how I make my work lunches. They're no masterpiece, and I know some people are not entirely cool with eating 5-day-old chicken, but it works for me.

Every Sunday I get home from grocery shopping, and prepare...


(1) Enough chicken breast of a week of lunch, seasoned with whatever I'm in the mood for. (Italian, greek, tex-mex...)

(2) Week's worth of salad.  I avoid delicate greens and veggies that get mushy, so usually use: parsley, napa cabbage, spinach, parsley, watercress, bell peppers, carrots, celery, seedless cucumber and avoid: tomatoes, regular cukes, run-of the mill lettuce, baby spinach.

(3) A bottle of home made salad dressing, again, the recipe varies at whim.

Then, in 5 1-gallon zip-lock bags, I layer up...

(1) The chicken, cooled and chopped up.  This goes at the bottom so it doesn't mess up your veggies.

(2) The salad stuff.

(3) A handful of nuts - almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, whatever.  Sure, these are a *little* soggy by friday, but I'm lazy enough not to care.  Sometimes I'll do half an avocado sliced in Monday and Tuesday's lunch instead of nuts, but they won't make it till Friday.

I leave my salad dressing and a big bowl at work, and grab a bag every morning on the way out the door.  At lunch time, I dress my salad in the bag, shake it up, dump it in my bowl, and make my co-workers jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment