Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chicken Stock

Once I've roasted and carved a chicken (see below) I like to toss the carcass into a pot to make stock. This is what I do, mostly because I'm lazy, its no masterpiece but it works for me:

Brown:
Chicken carcass, skin, and bones

under broiler for 5 -10 minutes turning once. transfer to large pot.

Add:
1 carrot
1 celery stalk with leaves
several cloves garlic
1 small or 1/2 large onion
rosemary, marjoram, thyme or other herbs to taste.

Fill the pot with cool water to cover bones and veggies by two inches or so. Set stovetop to low, slowly bring to a boil. Reduce to just barely simmering for about 3 hours, adding water as needed to keep contents covered. Remove from heat, strain out solids and let cool at room temperature. Refrigerate overnight and then skim off fat, which should form a solid layer on the top. My stock it usually the consistency of loose jell-o because it ends up pulling a lot of gelatin out of the carcass. I like it this way as braising liquid for lamb or pot roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment